Saturday, April 10, 2010

TOPSHOP Takes Manhattan



My much anticipated shopping experience at TopShop in New York was a disappointment. All the hype of the store did not deliver. I walked into sensory overload: loud music, bright lights and overcrowded with masses of people. As soon as I entered, I began my photo session and was immediately informed by security that photos were not allowed in the store. Of course, that didn't stop me, as I snapped away when the guard wasn't looking.



Topshop is one step above an H&M. In my words, it's a glorified H&M like store brought to the states which originated in the UK. Although the clothes are slightly edgier, unique, fashion forward, and made with higher quality fabrics than H&M, the prices are too expensive for the quality of their merchandise. The accessories and shoes were the highlight of the store. Although most of the shoes at Topshop are similar to Steve Madden, they are decently priced. I was impressed when I found a couple of handbags that were fashion savvy and not overpriced for the quality. Hey, I even bought a black leather messenger style bag.



Where were all the unique statement pieces I see in all the fashion magazines? I thoroughly scanned the store a few times, and never did I find any of the vintage style pieces I see the celebrities wearing. I was expecting  to find the diverse and high end designer wear that I have seen so heavily advertised , but those hopes were proven to be unrealistic for this well known street store in New York City. Sadly, it was an anticlimactic experience.

2 comments:

  1. At least I found a fab pair of shoes, as did Erika and I even made it to the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the Diva's Diary....I am happy to hear a shout out from all Diva's